Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Return of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

I was hoping the Cavaliers were past these types of performances on the road. You know, when they jump out to a big lead, look confident and aggressive, and then blow it in a matter of minutes? Well apparently they just can't shake it because they did it again last night. The actually held a 14-point lead midway through the second quarter and were looking good. I made the mistake of thinking ahead to how awesome the atmosphere would be at the Q on Friday night for a closeout Game 6. Maybe that upset the sports gods.

In a matter of minutes, the Cavaliers' 14-point lead had been cut to just 4 at halftime. A pair of Rajon Rondo three-pointers were prominently featured in the Celtics' run, just to illustrate how mad the sports gods were at Cleveland again. But that wasn't even the worst part. The Cavaliers then opened up the third quarter with three consecutive turnovers and they were the team shrinking under pressure. The only hope I really got from this game happened late when the Celtics had the game in the bag and mystifyingly let the Cavs back in it, at one point cutting the lead to 4 late. I never made the mistake of thinking the Cavs would actually win it, but maybe, just MAYBE they got some hope for a potential Game 7 on Sunday in the same arena. But first things first - Game 6 on Friday night. It's desperate times like this where I like to call on a quote from the Shawshank Redemption for some hope, modified to fit the Cavaliers' current predicament:

"I find I'm so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a Cavalier fan can feel, a Cavalier fan at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope we can win Game 6. I hope to see LeBron dominate, and dunk again on that a-hole KG. I hope Game 7 is satisfying as it has been in my dreams. I hope. "
Tribe Update: Back in first place where we belong after a 2-0 win over the A's. Now 2 games over .500. And the Tribe starters' shutout streak now sits at 49+ innings as I am typing. They are winning 3-0 in the bottom of the sixth in the dreaded day "getaway" game at the Prog. CC was great again last night. Our entire staff has just looked incredible. I'm actually running out of adjectives. I'd trade it all for a Cavs series win over Boston but I don't think it works that way...

Tribe starters continue to roll, CC pitching the latest gem

No comments: