Monday, May 12, 2008

Game 4 Thoughts

Tonight's game is the biggest one at the Q since Game 6 vs. Detroit last year. Yes, I'm excluding the Finals from consideration because I think the team was just happy to be there and not really ready to face the Spurs. So as I sit here and prepare myself mentally for what I expect to be an exhausting game, here are my thoughts:

  1. LeBron HAS to start making shots. I don't think it's physically possible for him to stay sub-30% for the entire series. He is just too good a player, no matter what the Celtics try defensively.
  2. Ray Allen also HAS to start making shots. He is now 1-11 from 3-point range in the series. He has made things a lot easier on Wally Szczerbiak by missing open looks. And if he wants to continue, who am I to stop him?
  3. Ben Wallace HAS to play. He is listed as day-to-day with the inner ear infection and allergy problems and I fully expect him to play. In my previous post, I outlined why he is so important to this team. And even if Garnett is shooting 59% for the series, I shudder to think where we'd be without Big Ben on him.
  4. The Cavaliers need to play with the same step-on-their-throats mentality that they displayed on Saturday. I expect the Celtics to be more focused and determined at the start of this one. But if the Cavs can still get them down early, it might be very demoralizing for them.
  5. The fans need to bring it just like on Saturday. The Q was as rowdy as I've seen it in a long time for Game 3. I'm hoping for the same type of atmosphere tonight. But it will largely be up to the players to set the tone early on and the crowd will follow.
Interesting note: The Cavaliers are 5-2 in Game 4's in the LBJ era, with their only losses coming in Washington in 2006 and vs. the Spurs in last year's Finals. Boston has also lost 7 games in a row overall at the Q.

Game 4 usually brings out the best in the Cavs - will LBJ return to form?

No comments: