Thursday, October 23, 2008

More bad publicity

So I was watching all the cable news channels last night, flipping around to get all the perspectives (I admit, I'm somewhat addicted during election season even though I can't wait for it to just all be over). On CNN I noticed something to this effect scroll across the bottom of the screen: "Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow to appeal his one-game suspension - AP."

Now I know going into this season the Browns were expecting lots of attention. With five prime time games on the schedule the team was hoping that all of the media focus would be based on what was happening on the field. Somewhere I'm sure Phil Savage was just shaking his head at the latest embarrassment for this franchise yesterday. Now everyone knows that not only have the 2008 Cleveland Browns underachieved, they've also managed to get caught up in a PR mess that doesn't figure to disappear anytime soon.

Good luck trying to cheer us up this year Phil

I defended K2 yesterday, but upon hearing that he is now appealing his one-game suspension I'm done defending him. It looks to me like this is all a ploy to keep his game check ($235K) that he is scheduled to miss during his suspension. I gave him the benefit of the doubt yesterday, assuming that he spoke out in frustration. But given that his agent is the one-and-only Drew Rosenhaus, Winslow's history of injuries that have likely shortened his career, and his longing for a new contract, this whole scenario just screams 'Pay me or I'll make a mess for you.' And if that's the case it is despicable, embarrassing, and completely unacceptable.

"As a grown man, if you make your bed, you have to lay in it. I'm not Kellen Winslow. I don't really understand what's going on with him and the team. I'm sure he felt he did what he needed to do." - Darnell Dinkins

Winning usually cures most ills for a team but I'm not sure even that (as unlikely as it seems with these up-and-down Browns) would help with K2. The Browns are nearing a crossroads with him and it just might be time to cut ties and rid the team of yet another distraction that they just don't need.

Other Browns Notes: Steve Heiden is hurting, but still expects to play Sunday vs. the Jags... And speaking of tight ends (that seems to be all we're talking about today), rookie Martin Rucker may be activated for Sunday's game. Yet another indication that K2 is expendable? I guess we'll have to see how he does, but we already know we have two decent stop-gaps in Heiden and Dinkins, so the more the merrier... I'll give my fearless prediction for Sunday right here tomorrow and you just might be surprised.

Cavs Update: The Cavaliers sleepwalked their way to a 97-79 loss to the Pistons last night in their almost-preseason-finale. Not exactly the best way to debut themselves to basketball-starved fans on Fox Sports Ohio's only preseason telecast. But when you take into account that #23 was a DNP for the night, I think we can all agree that this game doesn't mean jack$hit. They will finally end their marathon of a preseason tomorrow night on ESPN against the Wizards... The Cavs are expected to make their final roster announcement today so we'll see if Jawad Williams or Ronald Dupree will be the last man standing... I always like to read Brian Windhorst's take on these preseason games, so here you go if you didn't already see it... Dan Labbe put together a nice piece today on how the Cavs stack up to Cleveland's other pro teams... And finally, Bob Finnan reports that LeBron James was already crowned the league's MVP in a preseason NBA poll of general managers. Way to go out on a limb there guys!

Ladies and gentlemen, your 2008-09 MVP