Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Newsflash: LeBron is really good

As if we needed further validation to prove what we already know, LeBron James won the 8th Eastern Conference Player of the Month award of his career. The King's numbers for the month? 28.6 points on 49.7% shooting, 7.1 rebounds, 6.2 assists, and 2.1 steals per game. And the Cavaliers finished the month at 13-2 en route to their franchise best 14-3 start to the season. For some strange reason I have a feeling this won't be the last of these awards for LBJ this season...

Hey, this guy is pretty good

And you know the Cavs are playing well when they just finished a four-games-in-five-nights set and I'm already dying to see them on the court again. When was the last time they won four games in five nights? I can't remember and right now I'm too lazy to try to look it up, but I'm willing to bet it was quite a while ago.

So how good can these Cavaliers be this year? I probably shouldn't go down this road but... barring any major injuries I think they can easily set the franchise record for wins in a season of 58. My own modest pre-season prediction of 56 wins seems too low right now. But with the Celtics not showing any signs of letting up this year (they currently sit at 17-2) the Cavs will probably have to get to at least 60 wins to have any reasonable shot at home court advantage through the Eastern Conference Finals. I know I'm getting way ahead of myself here, but these are the things you think about during three off days when your favorite team is playing .823 basketball.

Key dates for the Cavaliers' quest for #1 in the East:
  • Fri Jan 9 vs. Boston
  • Thu Jan 29 @ Orlando
  • Sun Feb 1 @ Detroit
  • Sun Feb 22 vs. Detroit
  • Fri Mar 6 @ Boston
  • Tue Mar 17 vs. Orlando
  • Tue Mar 31 vs. Detroit
  • Fri Apr 3 @ Orlando
  • Sun Apr 12 vs. Boston
I can't wait to see how it all unfolds...