Monday, July 21, 2008

Weekend Wrap

The second half of the Tribe's season got off to a rather rocky start with an 8-2 loss to the woeful Mariners in Seattle. Aaron Laffey was rocked in the bottom of the 2nd for five runs after a bad error by Jhonny Peralta opened things up. But the Indians were able to rebound nicely on Saturday and grab a 9-6 win behind Shin-Soo Choo's bat. And it marked Jeremy Sowers' first big league win since May 24, 2007 (trust me, I looked it up). I wish I could give you more details from Saturday's game, but due to MLB's ridiculous Fox Saturday TV rule, I was not able to watch the game in Cleveland. If someone could explain to me why I would rather watch the Red Sox vs. the Angels on Fox, instead of my favorite home team on STO, well, I'm all ears.

So in Sunday's rubber match between two AL disappointments, Cliff Lee took the mound for our Tribe. And not surprisingly, he notched his 13th win on the year going the distance for the 6-2 victory. Kelly Shoppach provided all the support that Lee would need in the 4th inning. The only bad news from Sunday's game were the two horrendous plays (at least the ones that I saw) turned in by Jhonny Peralta at short. One was officially credited as an error, the other wasn't, but allowed a runner to get a hit on a routine grounder. Look, I'm not trying to pile on Jhonny and I love the way he's been hitting lately. I'm just stating my case for moving him to third base sooner rather than later. Asdrubal Cabrera needs to be our every day shortstop and I'll keep repeating it until I'm blue in the face. Unfortunately, Eric Wedge doesn't agree. Maybe they are just waiting for the right offer for Casey Blake? We'll find out soon I guess.

Just another day at the office for Cliff in Seattle

So after taking two out of three in Seattle, the Indians improved (?) to 11 games under .500, yet are still looking up at the Royals in the standings. But the good news is they've won six of their last seven games overall. They look to continue their improved play in a three-game series starting tonight against the Anaheim Angels of Los Angeles of Anaheim (or something like that). Paul Byrd will be on the hill for the good guys, so pray for rain or just lots of run support!

Browns Update: Training camp starts in less than 48 hours and I'm happier than a teenage girl at an NKOTB concert in 1989. Terry Pluto talks about the high hopes for the 2008 Browns. And Tony Grossi gives us a video preview below. I'm officially pumped.



Cavs Update: Well the summer league has already come and gone, with the Cavs going 0-5 in Las Vegas. But the real story was how well J.J. Hickson performed out west. He ended the summer league on a high note last night, with 24 points and 5 rebounds in 34 minutes of action. In the five games in Vegas he averaged 19.4 points and 7.8 rebounds in 30 minutes a game. Not too shabby.

"The Cleveland Cavaliers' J.J. Hickson has displayed a powerful post game with a full repertoire of moves. It looks like he'll be a steal for the Cavaliers." Source

5 comments:

sportsgirl132 said...

Another most excellent wrap up, my friend.

Just mention the name "peralta" to my dad and he goes ballistic over Jhonny's lack of defense.
"Hey dad--did you see Peralta's 3 RBIs?"

"God dammit--that Peralta and his defense....!! *$@#%^%" It's kinda funny and you can rely on it as much as the sun will rise.

LOL about Byrd tonight. Angels are playing good right now...just ask the Bosox.

chiefwahoo56 said...

LOL. "Sounds like your old man and [I] should get together and go bowling." Name that movie...

If there is a sports god and He cares at all about the future of the Cleveland Indians, He will allow Byrdie not to get rocked tonight. And in some way he may still hold some value to a pitching-desperate team out there. We shall see.

sportsgirl132 said...

Well, you and my old man would most definitely make for many hours of enjoyment, that's for sure.
But I should warn you---his other pressure point is anything to do with the Cavs.

I think if there really was a sports god than Byner wouldn't have fumbled, Sipe would have thrown it "to the blonde in the bleachers", and Jose Mesa would have grown some balls in the '97 series.

I'm like that french kid in the "South Park" movie:

"Were is your God when you need him, huh? Where is your beautiful, merciful faggot now?
Here I come, God. Here I come, you fucking rat."

(yeah--I need mental help...)

Nicko said...

LOL. "Sounds like your old man and [I] should get together and go bowling." Name that movie...

The Immortal Breakfast Club

chiefwahoo56 said...

I agree sportsgirl, there is no sports god (or if there is, he is no fan of Cleveland). But somehow Byrd still pulled a decent game out last night :)

And yes, good job Nicko, the quote was from Breakfast Club. It was on one of the HBO's on Sunday night so it was fresh in my head.