Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Byrd's swan song?

If this was Paul Byrd's final appearance as a Cleveland Indian, he sure picked a good time to throw a gem. He pitched 7-2/3 scoreless innings last night at the Prog as the Tribe blanked the Tigers 5-0. Amazingly Byrd was able to scatter just four hits in 107 pitches against a potent Tigers lineup. So perhaps he does still have some trade value after all. And if I was Mark Shapiro I'd be all ears right now, listening to any GM looking to bolster their rotation for the playoff run.

In Byrd's last three appearances he has gone 2-0, working at least 6 innings in each start, and has a 1.29 ERA. He credits his success of late to a change in his delivery. Whatever it is, I'm glad he found it. And he obviously knows there's a chance he could be dealt as the trade deadline looms. I've been tough on Byrd this year, but if he is dealt I will miss his candid views, his self-deprecating humor, and I will fondly remember him for his Game 4 start in last year's ALDS in New York.

''I'm in a win-win situation,'' Byrd said. ''I love the people here, the people in the clubhouse and the fans. My family loves it in Cleveland. But if I'm traded, I assume it would be to a contender, so that would be nice, too.''

A final farewell to the fans?

Another sight for sore eyes was Asdrubal Cabrera adding some insurance with a 2-run shot in the 6th, just after Kelly Shoppach also homered. It all added up to a nice win for the Tribe and is satisfying to me given my disdain for all things Detroit. Most importantly, the win keeps the Indians just a half-game behind the Royals for Central cellar honors (but that just doesn't seem fair given K.C.'s -78 run differential compared to our +5). Oh well.
Cavs Update: Negotiations between Delonte West's reps and the Cavs don't seem to be going very well. Hopefully this is more typical agent posturing:
"If he gets a good deal, we'll do it," Goodwin said. "If not, we'll take the qualifying offer."

Browns Update: Just some tidbits today on Brandon McDonald, Andra Davis, and Jamal Lewis. The first preseason game is creeping closer (just 9 days away). Unfortunately it's against the Jets and I'm really hoping they don't have Brett Favre on their roster by then. I just don't want that media circus in town next week.