Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Let's get this over with...

I have to admit I'm not a big fan of the All-Star break. I hate how it creates a big sports void for two days (this Wednesday and Thursday). But I guess this year I should be thankful for that given how much the Tribe has disappointed us. And what makes this particular All-Star game even worse for me is the fact it is in Yankee Stadium in its final season. I understand all the history of that park, but I really don't need it shoved down my throat for 3 or 4 straight days. But maybe that's just me. At least will be able to see two of our guys in prominent roles.

Grady started things off last night with his first appearance in the home run derby. Even though he didn't advance to the second round, I thought he performed well. He has deceptive power - you just don't think he will be able to drive a ball that far when you look at him - but he hit some monster shots to the upper deck in right field. If he could have kept a couple more of them inside the foul pole, I think he had a good shot to get to the finals. But it was still fun to see him out there representing the Indians. And I have a feeling it won't be the last time he is part of the festivities.

Grady showed that 23 home runs is no fluke this year

Now tonight we will get to see Cliff Lee start for the American League, concluding a very fine turnaround story for him personally after a disastrous 2007 campaign. Paul Hoynes put together a nice story in today's PD about Lee. I'm hoping for a couple of shutout innings from Cliff and of course, no injuries. And speaking of injured starters, Fausto Carmona made a solid rehab start for Lake County last night. It will be great to see him back on the mound for the Indians, hopefully soon.

Cavs Update: Thankfully the NBA understands the sports void I'll be soon feeling and they decided to start the summer league right on schedule. The Cavaliers had their first game yesterday afternoon, falling to the Knicks 97-94. The outcome isn't important, but what is important is that first-round selection J.J. Hickson looked very solid in his Cavalier debut, racking up 26 points and 9 rebounds. I haven't had a chance to watch the game yet but I did DVR it for my viewing pleasure later during the big void (probably tomorrow night).

26 & 9 in J.J.'s wine and gold debut

And finally, the James Posey saga still drags on. But I'm not really encouraged about the Cavaliers hopes of landing him by what I read here.

1 comment:

sportsgirl132 said...

Hi ya. Good to see you cross over.Now I get to read you twice.

I left you a message at SN in your mail box. Check it out.