Monday, February 2, 2009

Thankful

Let me start today by saying that I'm incredibly thankful and lucky to be here. I had a pretty serious auto accident on Wednesday on my way home from work in which I managed to launch my car off an overpass on I-480 and land upside down on the ground below next to Brookpark Rd. Here's what my once great Jeep looks like now. I truly think that someone was looking out for me on Wednesday and there's a reason that I made it out alive - to be here to experience Cleveland's first sports championship! (I'm kidding about that of course, but humor is my way of dealing with things right now.)

So I just want to thank all the well-wishers, and all of my personal heroes from Wednesday. The complete strangers that witnessed the accident, the EMS workers and police officers that were first on the scene, and an incredibly warm and caring hospital staff at Fairview Hospital all showed me what an amazing network of support that we take for granted every day. It was a truly humbling experience to be taken care of like that and I hope that I'm able to return the favor in small ways throughout the rest of my life. Things can change in an instant and I hope all of you out there take the time to enjoy life. I know I will. I'm already enjoying the extra time I've been able to spend with my beautiful wife these last couple days...

Even though I'm a little banged up, I'm still here to report on our beloved Cavaliers. I was able to catch the game in Orlando on Thursday night right after I was released from the hospital. Since it was another shorthanded loss on the road to an elite team I won't dwell on that one too much. But in true Cavalier fashion, they were able to follow up that loss with a 112-95 win (highlights) over the Clippers on Friday night. That extends the team's record at the Q to 22-0 and featured the return of Z to the starting line-up. He was able to chip in 20 points and 11 rebounds in his first game back. And I love the way our spacing looks on offense again, thanks to the big fella being back out there.

LBJ led the way with 33 Sunday in Detroit

So yesterday was another nice test for the Cavs as they were back on the road hoping to avenge an earlier loss to the Pistons at the Palace. The Cavs hadn't beaten a quality opponent from the East on the road yet, and a day game on Super Bowl Sunday was sort of a worrisome test for me. But the Cavs passed with flying colors with a 90-80 win (highlights) in which they outscored the Pistons 32-14 in the decisive fourth quarter. They were really able to do it with a 15-2 run to start the quarter in which LeBron was on the bench and Mo and Boobie did all the damage. The most telling stat I saw after yesterday's win - the Cavs are now +95 in point differential with Mo Williams on the court in the 4th quarter this year. And this guy's not an All-Star??? At least Mike Brown made it, although the league was "forced" to take him, as LeBron pointed out. The Cavs resume play again tomorrow night at the Q against the Raptors, where they look for their 23rd consecutive home win.