Thursday, February 19, 2009

Deadline day!

The Cavaliers returned from the break last night and played well, especially on defense in a fairly ho-hum 93-76 drubbing (highlights) of the Raptors in Toronto. The win again puts the team 30 games above .500 and 17-10 on the road.

Is this the last we'll see of the masked Cavalier? The deadline is looming...

But the real news today is the trading deadline, now a little over 3 hours away. Will the team make another big splash? Can they resist the urge to unload Wally's expiring contract for another piece of the championship puzzle? How desperate will teams looking to unload salary get as the deadline approaches? We will know the answers to these questions soon. My gut tells me that the Cavs will make a major move today. Just a feeling I have. I'll update here later today if anything does go down.

I do have to say that I feel for Wally and JJ (whose name has also been mentioned repeatedly in rumors). I don't think JJ will ultimately be dealt, but who (besides Danny Ferry) really knows? I do know that Wally has been a true professional this year and has done anything and everything the team has asked him to do. If he is moved I hope he can work out a buyout with that team and re-join his teammates after the 30-day wait. An NBA title just won't be the same without his emphatic high-fives and ass-slaps along the way...